Tuesday, April 13, 2010

April 13, 2010 "18 Months Old"

Hard to believe but 18 months ago today I received my stem cell transplant. They wished me a Happy Birthday early in the morning as we prepared to do the transplant. It has been quite a ride. I have been blessed by generous prayer by many. Thank you!

This morning one of my best friends and brother in Christ stopped by to share words of encouragement and challenge into my life. What a gift to have friends like Tim. I have had another ask me if it (the transplant experience and cancer) had changed me. The answer would be yes. I am changed. I have a "new normal".
My life is filled with joy at each new day. I am at peace where I am right now. I am waiting on Jesus to direct my path in a new season of life. My hope is full and my family is precious. I am able to spend time...valuable time with those who are the most important in my life. Change is difficult but necessary.
In the midst of transition comes faith challenging and strengthening moments. Seeking to be faithful and "Living for Jesus" in these moments have changed me. Being "born anew daily" is so "Lutheran". The Holy Spirit calls, gathers and enlightens in these moments to be changed; to be transformed in the "heart song of Jesus' Way". The Cross before us; the world behind us...choose to follow Jesus.

Today one of my favorite passages in God' Word came to mind...and a favorite prayer of many was shared with me by Tim...

Psalm 103

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
   and all that is within me,
   bless his holy name.
Bless the
Lord, O my soul,
   and do not forget all his benefits-
who forgives all your iniquity,
   who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the Pit,
   who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good as long as you live
   so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. 

The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments:

Post a Comment