Monday, March 1, 2010

March 1, 2010

On Sunday little Sophia was baptized. I have had the privilege to baptized hundreds of babies and adults. This time I simply watched. Yet the words "Sophia, child of God you have been sealed by the Holy Spirit and marked with the sign of the Cross forever..." are some of the most beautiful words spoken and written. They tell me "Whose I am and who I am."

I watched her Mom and Dad as they looked into Sophia's face as the water touched her head. Such love in those eyes of the parents. Sophia came to the "waters" with her pacifier in her mouth...Love it! She didn't have to do anything but receive the "Gift of New Life" that she will be raised in and called upon to affirm and embrace in the years ahead.

Someday Sophia will look into the eyes of her parents and say, "I believe; I know that Jesus is the Forgiver of my sins and the Leader of my life." The gift of faith is passed on by the Holy Spirit in such a profound yet simple and natural way. Thanks Jesus for caring so much for all that you would die and rise again for the forgiveness of sin...so too we go with you through the "waters of dying and rising" each day of our lives in You; sealed and marked.

No comments:

Post a Comment