Thursday, March 4, 2010


Take time to read   Ecclesiastes 2:1-11
This was a part of my devotions this morning from Robert H. Schuller's writings...
it challenged me "to grow where I am planted."


Risky Business? Or A Dream of Possibility?
March 04, 2010
Robert H. Schuller
"The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation." ˆ Exodus 15:2a
I will never fully know to what extent being born an Iowa farm boy made me the possibility thinker I am today. I don't think anything is more exciting than springtime on a farm.

I remember many years when Dad needed all the grain of last year's crop to feed the cattle and livestock. But there was one little corner of our corn bin where there was grain, and Dad would never touch it. I would say to him, "But, Dad, you still have some grain in there." And he would tell me, "No, Bob, that is next year's seed corn, and I cannot use it for feed." So he saved it. Then the spring came. How desperately he needed every kernel to feed the livestock. But what did he do? He buried it in the ground.

Now suppose my father had studied the odds. Suppose he had said, "Let's see, I've got a kernel of corn. If I feed it to the cattle, I know it will be productive. I can be sure of it. There is no risk. On the other hand, I can plant that kernel of corn in the ground. That's infinitely more risky. Weeds could choke it, birds could eat it, it could rot, or the hail and winds could destroy it just as it starts to grow. It could be worthless. It's risky to put the kernel of corn in the ground. But if I do, it just might multiply a hundredfold!"

Don't wait because something is risky. Break loose and begin before it's possible. Only then will your dream really become a possibility!

Prayer:
O Lord, you are my strength, my song, my salvation. Therefore, I will risk doing what I've never dared doing before. 
* * * 

Where in your life do you need to risk more? In a relationship? In a work venture? In tithing? In giving your life more fully to God? Now think about this: "Great people are common people who dare to make uncommon commitments to God." 

No comments:

Post a Comment